Melissa Ann Goodwin

Melissa Ann Goodwin

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Cookin' with Gas!


I just finished writing Chapter 20 of Return to Canterbury, the sequel to The Christmas Village, and you won't believe what just happened - in the story, I mean! WOW! I did not see that coming! Hope you'll be surprised too when you read it! This puts me at about the half-way mark, maybe a little more, and right on schedule for where I'd hoped to be by the end of March.

Sequels can be tricky business, because you want them to be just as good - or better than - the first book. But they also have to be different

The Christmas Village contained everything I'd ever held dear about childhood Christmases and the love of family and friends, as well as the accumulated inspiration of all the books I'd cherished as a child. And of course with the backdrop of Christmastime, it had a strong holiday feeling and nostalgic pull. But if you've read The Christmas Village, you know that it's also a suspense-filled adventure with many twists and lots of surprises! And, of course, one teeny-weeny little unsolved mystery ....

Return to Canterbury doesn't take place at Christmas, but there is quite an adventure afoot, and already a few surprises. And if you were hoping that we'd solve that teeny-weeny little unsolved mystery left over from The Christmas Village, well, so was I! I don't think you'll be disappointed on that score. 

So, my hope is that, in Return to Canterbury, I'm carrying forward the elements that readers loved in The Christmas Village - a good story, excitement, suspense, and characters that feel like friends in a place we don't want to leave - into a new and equally exciting roller-coaster ride of a tale with just as many surprises and a satisfying resolution. 

It feels good to be cookin' with gas on the writing front again, my friends! 

Have a great week, everyone! Pop over to my Inspiring Thoughts and Pictures Blog for the latest inspirational quote and photograph intended to lift your spirit and boost your creative juices. 


12 comments:

  1. Being the Senior Proof Reader - I just finished reading to the end of Chapter 20 and I've got to tell you I've got goose bumps on top of goose bumps!!!!!! Excitement - galore - this sequel is going to be
    HUUUUGGGGGEEEEEEEEEE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sweetie - it's always good to get an unbiased opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. It is wonderful that both you and your Senior Proof Reader (wonderful title) are pleased with all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a great editor -he catches not just typo stuff, but he'll grill me on plot inconsistencies and everything else. He helped me so much with the first one too.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous3/25/2013

    Sounds like the sequel is going to be great! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanne, I was really worried about doing a sequel, but I feel better now that it's underway. We have a story going!

      Delete
  5. Great stuff, Melissa! I love it when my characters surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annalisa, it's a good thing they do, because sometimes I don't know where I'm going so it helps when they tell me where they want to go!

      Delete
  6. Dear Melissa, how exciting that the book is coming into being and that it's surprising you. That's such a good feeling--to know that the characters have taken over and have the plot in their hands. It is, I believe, a sign of good writing. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee, yes, it's a wonderful feeling. I hope you're right about it being a good sign :)
      xo

      Delete
  7. Sounds like an amazing project! All the best with it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Misha, I'm just glad it's moving along so well!

      Delete

Talk to me!